Friday, June 13, 2008

Welcome to Breastfeeding & Supplmenting

Hi there,

If you are here, then you are probably supplementing your baby or thinking about it. You may be here because your baby isn't doing well or you are having a hard time making exclusive breastfeeding work. You may be here because you chose to supplement for your own reasons. I hope this blog will help other women who are struggling to find good advice on supplementing. Much of the advice and information out there is for moms who breastfeed (on the breast and exclusively) or who exclusively formula feed. So, for those of us who supplement with formula or breastmilk or who exclusively pump and bottlefeed breastmilk, there is no real source of support or information. We hang out in this no man's land of being judged by people who breastfeed and people who formula feed. Both think we are bonkers!

While I do think breastfeeding is best, I know (from personal experience) that exclusive breastfeeding isn't always possible. I also don't think formula is evil. I will encourage moms to avoid formula, when feasible, but I certainly don't judge moms who chose formula or who are ready to wean to formula. I've "been there - done that" and I did supplement both my kids with formula and was grateful to have it to make up the difference between what I could produce and what they needed to thrive and do well.

Welcome. Feel free to post comments and questions. I'll try to post new ideas and answers to common questions at least weekly.

3 comments:

Steph said...

I'm so glad to see this blog, please keep it up! My son was a great eater until he was about 3 months old. We thought we figured out what the problem was and fixed it, but then at 4 months he was diagnosed as Failure to Thrive. He was only 9lbs 8oz - he had been 8lbs 12oz at birth.

That was in April. We are supplementing with donated (not from a milk bank) breast milk and use a Lact-Aid supplementer. He is growing well, but my supply is still not adequate enough to stop using donor milk. We are holding off on starting solids since breast milk has better nutritional value than any food we could give him.

Anyway, I'm really glad to see this blog and can't wait to read future entries! Can I suggest one about supplemental nursers (SNS & Lact-Aid)?

Breastfeeding & Supplementing Mama said...

Thanks, Steph!

I'm glad you find the blog helpful. I am planning on writing a blog entry on my adventures using the supplemental nursing system. Can I ask where you found out about the blog?

And, feel free to email me at BFsupplementing@gmail.com if you'd like some advice. I'm not a LC, but I think I have some "mommy-street cred", lol, when it comes to supplementing.

Good luck.

Steph said...

I heard about the blog from your sister. I don't know her, but she posted a link to it on a message board we are both on.

Thanks for your email!